Drilling is the “acid test” for all exploration programmes and the key step in a prospect becoming a project. Drilling represents a major investment for your company, but too often the value of drill core is not fully realised. Inadequate logging, incomplete sampling, poor QAQC practices and cost cutting with laboratory analyses all serve to undermine the value of the drilling investment.
Our professionals have logged over one million metres of drill core and chips over their careers, covering a variety of deposit styles from epithermal gold to volcanic massive sulphide copper and zinc to porphyry copper. We have also worked on all parts of the exploration drilling spectrum from scout drilling to test geological concepts to feasibility level drill-outs, geotechnical drilling and mine grade control drilling. Throughout this, we have learned the importance of maximising the value of the drilling asset in a rapid and comprehensive manner, including:
- Accurate down hole surveys and oriented core measurements
- Geotechnical information (e.g., RQD) at the drill site
- High resolution core photographs to preserve a record of the intact core
- Geological logging of lithology, alteration minerals, mineralisation species and habits, and structure
- Strict sampling of drill core according to geological intervals while bearing in mind minimum sample size
- Analysis for key economic elements, pathfinders (as required) and metallurgically important elements
- Bulk density measurements
- Samples of mineralisation for metallurgical test work and waste material for acid generating/neutralising capacity
All drilling programmes are designed, implemented and reported according to the guidelines of JORC and NI 43-101. All drill logs and data are preserved in digital format and maintained on secure servers.
Signal Delta has its own diamond drilling rigs through a strategic alliance with Global Drilling and Exploration Group, also known as Indodrill.